How to Create a Momentum Moment When You’re Not Getting the Results That You’re Wanting
It will be July 4th when this post goes live. It has been practice to write about things that are somewhat nostalgic or reflective of my love for my hot mess country. But this year I’ve decided to focus on something a little different with the hopes that it will help people change their lives.
How to Create a Momentum Moment
I know you’re wondering-Michelle, what the heck are you talking about? Basically I’m talking about creating a surge of energy, momentum, or focusing on creating changes that will push you out of: mediocre results, get you closer to your goals, and feeling stalled out when and depressed because you’re not making the progress that you were hoping for.
This holiday weekend (July 1-July 4th, 2016) officially marks the halfway point of the year. This is that moment when you should be assessing what has and hasn’t worked for you so far this year.
As The Shop My Closet Project is primarily a personal finance and lifestyle blog I will focus on those topics for this post. I will talk about building momentum in your business at my blog: thedonesociety.rocks.
Let’s talk about money. If you are currently feeling like you’re unable to earn more, pay off debts, or just have lost momentum for whatever reason this weekend is the time to look at the results that you would like to get.
I am also working on this process for myself as well. Last year I began my self-employment journey and then became an entrepreneur this year and yes…I still had debt when I made the switch. No, I do not recommend that other people do this. But, for those of you who lose your jobs you may become an accidental entrepreneur who still has debt. Or, for those of you who just can’t do what you’ve been doing anymore then again you may have imperfectly planned and find yourself managing growing a business while managing your money
One of the interesting things that has occurred as a result of this change in my life circumstance is that I am a lot more aware and connected to every single dollar that comes my way. I get it now. For the past year I’ve used a 100% cash budget and at this point have gotten a handle on my needs and wants. I’ve also figured out how to rock “free” so that I have the same quality of life while growing my business.
I am now in a very, very different head space about my personal finances than when I began this journey with you and I just want it done. In order to create the momentum needed to pay off these last lingering bills (and grow my business) I’m going to have to change what I’m doing…and if you’re in a similar situation so will you. Here are some ideas:
- 30 Day Side Hustle Challenge-Look for a side hustle to do every day for 30 days. Apply all of that extra money towards your financial goal (mine would be debt payoff)
- 30 Day No Shopping Challenge-I actually don’t shop that much anymore, but if I did this is a super easy way to free up cash. Click here to read about my experience not shopping for a year.
- Tell People-Let people know what you’re trying to do so that they will support your efforts. Not everyone will “get it” but you will get a few people in your corner who can encourage you as you work on your projects.
- Earn more-You’re already side hustling but is it possible to grow your earnings per hour? Currently I am pitching higher rates for all of my side gigs so that I’m earning as much as possible per hour of work.
- Rework Your Vision Board-Yes, this is Woo Woo but sometimes we stop getting the results we would like because we’ve strayed away from our vision. Spend time getting super clear about what you would like to have happen, the time frame, and the steps you would like to take to make it happen.
I’ve experienced a renewed sense of urgency because of: Brexit (still can’t believe it) and the U.S. election in November. I believe that we are in for a higher rate of economic uncertainty than usual and I want to be prepared for it.
I also have 2 trips coming up and I am paying for everything with cash. When you are paying everything with cash from your own business-it changes everything.
5 Days to $500 Dollars
Join the Community!
Hey, I'm not naturally frugal either!
What if I told You that You Could Live the Same Lifestyle for Less?
Get your free guide "The Ultimate Guide to Saving!"
And the 5 Days to $500 Challenge today.
I am working on losing weight. My weight has been driving me crazy for many reasons:
- I don’t feel like myself
- My knees don’t like the extra weight
- I have a hard time when I exert myself and wheeze a little bit (or breathe really hard)
- I’m a little vain (hey-let’s be honest)
I’ve recently lost and kept off a fabulous 2 pounds. Those were the 2 hardest pounds that I’ve ever lost. Now, I would like to lose an additional 23 pounds. It’s totally doable but I’ve been thinking about how do I build momentum in order to keep me encouraged and motivated.
The Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon
For the past 5 years I’ve talked about running a half marathon. I’ve talked and talked and talked. You get the picture. But this year there really is no excuse. It’s time to put up or shut up and training for the 1/2 marathon is a huge motivator and momentum changer.
- Using Beachbody on Demand to stream exercise videos
- Taking awesome free cardio and yoga classes Monday-Thursday
- Eating carbs earlier in the day only. There’s no way I’m cutting them out.
- Getting my 10,000 steps in each day.
- Working out with The November Project-an amazing community of super nice people and hot guys who give you sweaty hugs after a great work out. Ahem.
Training for a big event will be a great way to capitalize on what I’m already doing and hopefully begin seeing even more changes to my health and wellness. I’ve lost inches which is huge! And, I’m feeling really encouraged by my progress so far.
Momentum is a Game Changer
Sometimes a momentum moment happens out of the blue: you’re contacted by a person who has been watching what you’ve been doing, someone shares your project or information about you with someone who can change the trajectory of your life, you’re walking down the street and scouted to become a model, you get the picture sometimes it’s just plain good luck or being in the right place at the right time.
For most of us though it’s a mix of preparation, intentionality, hard work, and sprinkle of good luck.
More from my site
Latest posts by Michelle (see all)
- Take the Alphabet Fitness Challenge! - 17 May, 2017
- How to Make Fresh Carrot, Apple, Ginger, and Celery Juice - 16 May, 2017
- How to Rock the Financial Bow Wow Challenge - 15 May, 2017